Over time, we have collected from our clients a lot of useful tips on how to measure your dog at home as accurately and easily as possible.
How To Make Sure The Wheelchair Fits Your Dog?
Here are some tips and tricks.
- Measuring the dog is definitely a two-person job! It doesn’t seem like it, but every helping hand is good.
- We always need to know 5 measurements:
– height of the dog at the withers
– the height of the dog at the groin (measured from the ground/pad)
The two measurements above can be, if necessary, made with the dog lying on their side.
– the length of the dog from the end of the shoulder to the root of the tail
– width of the dog behind the shoulders
– width of the dog’s pelvis
Take these simple visual instructions with you. If you print it out, you can even write the measured values right there!
- Choose the right measuring tape. Definitely opt for a tape measure with big numbers – just as the one every handyman uses. Why? Because its large and legible numbers will be easy to see in the photos.
- Have your camera close, so you can take the photos quickly. Wait, which photos? It may happen that you will not feel completely confident during the measurement process. Maybe because your dog does not want to cooperate (we see you, stubborn Dachshunds!), or you are not sure about some part of the process. If you take a picture of the dog and the tape measure placed on the different measuring point, you can send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to check if everything is ok and advise you on determining the appropriate size.
5. The most important parameter is the width of the saddle. It’s crucial to get there right, so we recommend measuring both the front and rear width of the dog, using some perpendicular pads. Does that sound too complicated? Don’t worry, it’s actually rather easy.
Just have the dog stand against a wall and help yourself from the other side with a book, as seen in the pictures below. If you do it this way, the measurement result will be perfect.
6. Is your dog a fluffer (aka has a lot of fluffy or long fur)? In that case, it might be quite hard to clearly see from the photos where the dog’s body ends and where there is “only” fur. To make sure the measurements are clear, we recommend using some kind of a pad to read the height, again as you can see in the picture.
7. Allow yourself time and peace for the whole measuring process. Yes, measuring for your dog’s bespoke wheelchair takes a bit of time and focus, but this can be done at home, when and where it suits you most. It is not necessary to stress the dog by unnecessary travel or handling by strangers.
8. Fill in all the measurements on the e-shop page and hit that Calculate button! You will know which size to choose right away.
But do not forget, you can always get in touch with us if you have any doubts.